Department of Microbiology & Biotechnology (MB&BT)
The Department of Microbiology & Biotechnology is currently headed by Dr. Shehu Mohammed Busu.
Units / Divisions of the Department;
- Bacteriology Unit with Mycobacteriology, Bacteriology and Mycology sections
- Virology and Biotechnology Unit with Virology and Biotechnology sections
The staff strength of the department stands at sixteen with nine (9) Research Fellows in the areas of medical microbiology, pharmaceutical microbiology and parasitology. There are five (5) Technologists, a laboratory technician and a departmental secretary.
The department is presently involved in antimicrobial resistance studies (AMR) which include testing natural products against multiple drug-resistant organisms. studies on isolation, identification and molecular characterization of antimicrobial-resistant Helicobacter pylori with the aim of testing natural antimicrobial agents against resistant strains are about to start.
Antimycobacterial properties of natural products is also an ongoing research priority.
The functions of the department include the following;
- Determination of antimicrobial properties of plants and plant products, microbial metabolites and natural products against pathogenic bacteria, fungi, and parasites
- Isolation and characterization antimicrobial agents from soil microoganisms
- Determination of microbial limit of drugs, pharmaceutical products, foods, water and cosmetics
- Pyrogenic test for pharmaceutical products
- TB research
- Immunostimulatory properties of plant and synthetic products
- In vitro antimalarial properties of natural and synthetic drugs
- Antisickling properties of natural and synthetic drugs
- Epidemiological survey of neglected tropical Diseases causing organisms
- Sero-epidemiological survey of HIV, Hepatitis B and C
- Survey of opportunistic infections among HIV clients