Mandate of the Institute
“To build a Centre of Excellence in research and development of phytomedicines, pharmaceutical and biological products, drugs and diagnostics towards improving the health and well-being of mankind.”
- To apply appropriate modern science and technological resources to stimulate local production of drugs through effective collaboration with the industry and experts within and outside Nigeria;
- Develop herbal and phytomedicines to pilot state of commercialization;
- Develop quality standards for phytomedicine;
- Drugs and diagnostics for the purpose of control and regulation;
- Provide quality assurance services on all drugs used in healthcare delivery; and
- Provide safety data and essential information on herbal and other towards achieving self-sufficiency in the production and control of essential drugs in such a way that would guarantee the overall health of Nigerians and mankind in general.
Functions of the Institute
The Institute, which formally took off in January 1989, has the following functions:
Undertake research and development work on drugs, biological products including vaccines and pharmaceutical raw materials from indigenous natural resources and by synthesis using appropriate science and technology methodologies
Conduct appropriate investigations and consequent applications in the areas of evaluation, preservation, purification, standardization, safety and rational utilization of traditional medicine.
Develop methodologies for quality assessment of biological products, orthodox and herbal medicines including their raw materials.
Serve as reference centre for research work on the biopharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, storage and stability of imported and locally manufactured drugs and biological products.
Conduct research and development work into pharmaceutical biotechnology, nutrition, cosmetics and environmental science for improved quality of life and the conservation of medicinal and aromatic plants.
Establish and operate a quality assurance laboratory for pharmaceutical raw materials and products.
Promote and sponsor staff development; through training courses, workshops, and fellowship within and outside Nigeria.